Characterising ingredients are ingredients or categories of ingredients in a food product that are either: mentioned by name in the food product; are usually associated with the name of the food by consumers; or are emphasised on the food label in either words, graphics or pictures. When you set a characterising ingredient the proportion of that ingredient is displayed beside the ingredients declaration name in the ingredients list.
Similarly, Characterising components are components of a food product that are usually associated with the name of the food by consumers. When you set a characterising component, the proportion of that component is displayed as a statement at the end of the ingredients list which describes the proportion of that component in the food product. In Foodworks, characterising components are only available for Cocoa solids and Milk fat.
Ingredient groups are categories you define—such as fruit, nuts, milk products — to group ingredients when they appear in the ingredient list of a nutrition label. This allows an ingredient to be declared in ingredient lists as part of that group e.g. if the raw materials cashews and almonds have been assigned to the group nuts, then they can appear in labels as nuts (cashews, almonds).
To display ingredient groups, characterising ingredients and characterising components on the label of a recipe:
- Open the relevant recipe or sub recipe.
- Navigate to the Labelling tab and Click the Ingredients sub-tab.
- To show ingredient groups in the label’s ingredient statement, select any of the options in the Ingredient groups container.
- To declare and display ingredients as Characterising ingredients in a label’s ingredient statement, select any of the options found in the Characterising ingredients container.
- To declare any Characterising components just under a labels ingredient statement, select the relevant options found in the Characterising components container.
- Click Save near the top right of the screen.
- In the Ingredient Groups box, if there are no ingredient groups shown, then none of the ingredients used for this recipe have been assigned to an ingredient group. You can assign an ingredient to a group when setting its Label declaration.
- The Characterising Ingredients box lists all the ingredients used in this recipe or sub recipe. If you set an ingredient as a characterising ingredient, its percentage weight is shown in the nutrition label for the recipe.
- In the Characterising Components box, if there are no characterising components shown, you need to enable them. To do this, see Enable nutrients and components for a workspace.